Aged brisket brined for 5 days in salt, water and a little sugar before it's hung for a further 3 days. Perfect for Corned and Salt Beef.
CORNED BEEF & CABBAGE
1.5kg Pickled Brisket
2 large carrots, peeled
4 small onions, peeled
1 tsp powdered English Mustard
1 large sprig of fresh thyme and several parslet stalks tied together
Salt & pepper to taste
- Put the brisket into a large pot with the carrots, onions, mustard powder and herbs.
- Cover with cold water; bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer very gently for 3 hours. From time to time, skim fat from top as it rises.
- After 1 hour discard the outer leaves of the cabbage and cut into quarters, Add to the pot and cook until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the brisket when tender and allow to rest for twenty minutes,
- Slice against the grain of the meat, cut into slices and surround by the vegetables. Serve with a generous amount of potatoes, boiled in their jackets and mustard.
- Crack open a bottle of Stout and enjoy!