1kg (serves 3-4) Diced Chuck, 50g plain flour, 5g beef dripping, 4 medium carrots sliced 1/2 inch thick, 8 small onions peeled, 500ml red wine, 1 large clove of garlic crushed, 1 sprig of thyme, 100g button mushrooms, 500ml beef gravy or 1 litre beef stock reduced by half, fresh parsley chopped, salt and black pepper.
Pre-heat oven to 150oC.
- Heat the dripping in a heavy oven safe pan or dutch oven, combine the flower salt and pepper in a bowl and coat the meat.
- Fry the coated meat in the dripping, add the garlic, mushrooms, onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour the wine over the beef and vegetables, stirring constantly to combine. Allow the wine to reduce by half and add the thyme and beef gravy/stock.
- Cover and place in the pre-heated oven. Cook until tender (about 1.5 - 2 hours).
- Remove from oven, add seasoning to taste and mix in the chopped parsley.
- Serve with mashed potato.