Taken from close to the shoulder, chuck is traditionally diced or sliced and used in casseroles. But Chuck roasted low and slow in a piece produces a tender, flavoursome cut.
To cook medium-rare
- Make sure the joint is at room temperature. (Take out of fridge at least 2 hours before cooking).
- Pre-heat oven to 75°C (yes, that low!)
- Season well with Great Cow Rub.
- Get a pan smoking hot.
- Sear in a hot pan until coloured all over (2-3 minutes)
- Place on oven tray in pre-heated oven for:
1.5kg joint: 2-2.5 hours until internal temp reaches 60°C
3kg joint: 3-3.5 hours until internal temp reaches 60°C
To cook medium: cook until internal temp is 70°C
- Rest, uncovered, on a warm plate (not too hot to touch) for at least 20 mins before serving.