2 kilograms Beef Short Ribs, 500 grams smoked bacon, 1" diced, 4 whole onions peeled, 4 whole carrots peeled,15 whole button mushrooms, 1 whole faggot of herbs or bouquet garni containing a sprig each of thyme, rosemary and bay. 1 small spice bag (made by tying muslin containing black peppercorns, star anise and fennel seeds into a bag with string)*.1 litre veal stock,1 litre chicken stock,1 litre Black Swan or Guiness, Seasoned flour, Pinch of sugar, 100g beef dripping, Salt and pepper.
- Cover the meat, vegetables, faggot of herbs and spice bag in the beer and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the liquid into a large oven proof pan or Dutch oven and reduce by half over a medium heat.
- Add the stock, bring to a simmer and pre-heat oven to 160oC.
- Heat the dripping in a large non-stick pan, dust the Short Ribs in the seasoned flour, fry until brown and add to the hot stock.
- In the same pan, fry the vegetables (adding more dripping if necessary) and add to the meat and stock.
- Add the faggot and spice bag to and place the large pan or Dutch oven into the pre-heated oven.
- After 3 hours remove from the oven and check the meat for tenderness. If the fat has not been rendered, and the meat is not tender and hanging off the bones then replace into the oven and check again every half hour until ready.
- When the meat is ready, drain the liquid into another pan and reduce whilst skimming surface constantly.
Finally, pour the the sauce back over the meat and vegetables, filtering with muslin or a fine sieve. Bring back up to temperature, correct seasoning and serve in warm bowls with crusty bread. Enjoy!