This year, we have sourced our smoked gammon from our suppliers up in Ripon - Taste Tradition - and as always, they are the perfect accompaniment for any Christmas roast. Be it turkey, goose or even beef!
Smoked for extra flavour, these gammons are fully prepped and boneless, and we recommend you give them the full Richard H. Turner treatment below.
PRE-ORDER ONLY - CHRISTMAS TURKEYS WILL BE DELIVERED BETWEEN DECEMBER 20TH TO DECEMBER 23RD
Roast Glazed Ham by Richard H. Turner
1 Smoked gammon (Whole)
100ml / 200ml apple juice
100ml / 200ml cider vinegar
100ml / 200ml clear honey
100g / 200ml fresh Pain d’epice breadcrumbs
1. Soak the ham in cold water for 24-36 hours (or at least overnight if that's all you can manage) changing the water halfway through the soaking time. Before cooking change the water again, bring up to the boil and poach at a very gentle simmer at 90°c for 30 minutes per kilo (or until the internal temp is 55-60°c)
2. Place the apple juice, cider and honey into a pan and bring to a simmer, remove from the heat and put to one side.
3. Remove the ham from the water after the required amount of time and drain making sure to keep 300ml of the poaching liquid, cut away the skin and discard. (Score the fat if desired).
4. Place the ham into a deep roasting tray with 300ml of the poaching liquid and our half the glaze over the ham, then place in a preheated oven at 140°c for 30 minutes. Halfway through remove from the oven, pour the rest of the glaze over the top and coat generously with the breadcrumbs before returning to the oven.
5. When the time is up remove from the oven and transfer the ham to a clean dish to rest for 30 minutes before slicing thinly.
7. Pour off the glaze from the roasting tray, pass through a fine sieve and reduce to a sticky syrup before serving alongside the ham.