Traditionally a Brazilian cut, the rump cap or 'Picanha' makes a fantastic BBQ cut or roasting joint. A decent amount of fat coverage to keep it moist, whilst packing plenty of flavour.
SLOW ROASTED RUMP CAP
- Make sure the joint is at room temperature. (Take out of fridge at least 2 hours before cooking)
- Pre-heat oven to 60oC.
- Season well with our Great Cow Rub.
- Get a pan smoking hot.
- Sear in hot pan until coloured all over. (2-3 mins approx)
- Place on oven tray in re-heated oven for at least 4 hours and up to 8*. If you have a meat thermometer, check from time to time to confirm the meat stays just over 55oC.
- Rest, uncovered, on a warm plate (not too hot to touch) for at least 20 mins before serving.
* The result will improve the longer you cook. Using this method the Rump Caps can end up as soft and tender as fillet. An added bonus to slow roasting is that there is very little shrinkage and the meat stays nice and juicy.