Smoked Air-Dried Cumbrian Ham Bone-in
We've worked closely with Woodall's of Cumbria, who for a while were the only large scale producers of air-dried hams in the country. Bone-in for flavour, matured for three months truly special hams.
OUR DELIVERY PROMISE
Our mail order meat service delivers to any UK mainland* address using external couriers from Tuesday to Saturday. Deliveries can be tracked and re-arranged via a text message update service, kept safe in specially designed packaging that keeps a constant temperature for up to 48 hours.
We’re passionate about how we source, age and prepare our meat – so we want to ensure it reaches you exactly how it left us; always fresh and never frozen.
We cut each order individually, and vacuum pack on the morning that the boxes are packed for delivery to protect during transit. We’ve found that this is the best way to ensure that your freshly cut meat arrives with you in perfect condition. If you’d rather have your meat wrapped in butcher’s paper, we can do that too – just let us know in your order notes.
All-day delivery (8am-5pm, Tuesday to Friday): £5.00 for orders under £50.00
Morning delivery (8am-12pm, Tuesday to Friday): £8.00 for orders under £50.00
Saturday All-Day delivery (9am-5pm): £8.00 for orders under £50.00
Saturday Morning delivery (9am-12pm): £10.00 for orders under £50.00
FREE DELIVERY on orders over £50, excludes Saturday Morning slot.
Simply choose your cuts, either individually or by choosing one of our specially selected subscription boxes, add condiments if you wish, choose your preferred delivery slot and await your meat. Our cut off for Next Day Delivery is 12pm.
If your ideal slot is not selectable that means we’ve reached capacity, so please choose another. Please remember though, that we plan our deliveries daily, so no matter when you book your delivery we will always hand-cut your orders freshly.
UK mainland* - Orders can be delivered Tuesday to Saturday. You can select a morning slot, between 8.00am and 12pm, or an all-day from 8am until 6pm – although please note that Saturday deliveries operate between 9am and 5pm.
Once your order has been accepted, a confirmation email will be sent. Please note that during busy periods we reserve the right to alter your delivery slot, but we will always endeavour to advise you of any changes. Remember, your order will always arrive with you freshly.
*UK mainland excludes Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Highlands of Scotland.
by Richard H Turner
1 Air Dried Ham (Half / Whole)
100ml / 200ml apple juice
100ml / 200ml cider vinegar
100ml / 200ml clear honey
100g / 200ml fresh Pain d’epice breadcrumbs
1. Soak the ham in cold water for 24-36 hours (or at least overnight if that's all you can manage) changing the water halfway through the soaking time. Before cooking change the water again, bring up to the boil and poach at a very gentle simmer at 90°c for 30 minutes per kilo (or until the internal temp is 55-60°c)
2. Place the apple juice, cider and honey into a pan and bring to a simmer, remove from the heat and put to one side.
3. Remove the ham from the water after the required amount of time and drain making sure to keep 300ml of the poaching liquid, cut away the skin and discard. (Score the fat if desired).
4. Place the ham into a deep roasting tray with 300ml of the poaching liquid and our half the glaze over the ham, then place in a prehearted oven at 140°c for 30 minutes. Halfway through remove from the oven, pour the rest of the glaze over the topand coat generously with the breadcrumbs before returning to the oven.
5. When the time is up remove from the oven and transfer the ham to a clean dish to rest for 30 minutes before slicing thinly.
7. Pour off the glaze from the roasting tray, pass through a fine sieve and reduce to a sticky syrup before serving alongside the ham.