Short ribs are a bone-in cut, taken from the mid-section of the ribs. A fantastic braising and smoking cut, cooked long enough the meat will fall from the bone.
OUR DELIVERY PROMISE
Our mail order meat service delivers to any UK mainland* address using external couriers from Tuesday to Saturday. Deliveries can be tracked and re-arranged via a text message update service, kept safe in specially designed packaging that keeps a constant temperature for up to 48 hours.
We’re passionate about how we source, age and prepare our meat – so we want to ensure it reaches you exactly how it left us; always fresh and never frozen.
We cut each order individually, and vacuum pack on the morning that the boxes are packed for delivery to protect during transit. We’ve found that this is the best way to ensure that your freshly cut meat arrives with you in perfect condition. If you’d rather have your meat wrapped in butcher’s paper, we can do that too – just let us know in your order notes.
All-day delivery (8am-5pm, Tuesday to Friday): £5.00 for orders under £50.00
Morning delivery (8am-12pm, Tuesday to Friday): £8.00 for orders under £50.00
Saturday All-Day delivery (9am-5pm): £8.00 for orders under £50.00
Saturday Morning delivery (9am-12pm): £10.00 for orders under £50.00
FREE DELIVERY on orders over £50, excludes Saturday Morning slot.
Simply choose your cuts, either individually or by choosing one of our specially selected subscription boxes, add condiments if you wish, choose your preferred delivery slot and await your meat. Our cut off for Next Day Delivery is 12pm.
If your ideal slot is not selectable that means we’ve reached capacity, so please choose another. Please remember though, that we plan our deliveries daily, so no matter when you book your delivery we will always hand-cut your orders freshly.
UK mainland* - Orders can be delivered Tuesday to Saturday. You can select a morning slot, between 8.00am and 12pm, or an all-day from 8am until 6pm – although please note that Saturday deliveries operate between 9am and 5pm.
Once your order has been accepted, a confirmation email will be sent. Please note that during busy periods we reserve the right to alter your delivery slot, but we will always endeavour to advise you of any changes. Remember, your order will always arrive with you freshly.
*UK mainland excludes Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Highlands of Scotland.
2 kilograms Beef Short Ribs, 500 grams smoked bacon, 1" diced, 4 whole onions peeled, 4 whole carrots peeled,15 whole button mushrooms, 1 whole faggot of herbs or bouquet garni containing a sprig each of thyme, rosemary and bay. 1 small spice bag (made by tying muslin containing black peppercorns, star anise and fennel seeds into a bag with string)*.1 litre veal stock,1 litre chicken stock,1 litre Black Swan or Guiness, Seasoned flour, Pinch of sugar, 100g beef dripping, Salt and pepper.
- Cover the meat, vegetables, faggot of herbs and spice bag in the beer and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the liquid into a large oven proof pan or Dutch oven and reduce by half over a medium heat.
- Add the stock, bring to a simmer and pre-heat oven to 160oC.
- Heat the dripping in a large non-stick pan, dust the Short Ribs in the seasoned flour, fry until brown and add to the hot stock.
- In the same pan, fry the vegetables (adding more dripping if necessary) and add to the meat and stock.
- Add the faggot and spice bag to and place the large pan or Dutch oven into the pre-heated oven.
- After 3 hours remove from the oven and check the meat for tenderness. If the fat has not been rendered, and the meat is not tender and hanging off the bones then replace into the oven and check again every half hour until ready.
- When the meat is ready, drain the liquid into another pan and reduce whilst skimming surface constantly.
- Finally, pour the the sauce back over the meat and vegetables, filtering with muslin or a fine sieve. Bring back up to temperature, correct seasoning and serve in warm bowls with crusty bread. Enjoy!