Praise for the Butcher's Dog:
The Guardian's Felicity Cloake: 'Definitely the best hot dog i've ever tasted... here or in the States'
Tom Parker-Bowles: 'Snap, succulence, seasoning; perfect... they're great.'
Richard's Kimchi Dogs
For the dogs:
10 Butcher’s Dog hot dogs
10 x 6” hot dog buns,
10 slices American burger cheese
For the kimchi:
2 medium chinese leaf cabbage, outer leaves discarded
20g Maldon sea salt
100g garlic cloves, minced
100g sliced peeled fresh ginger, minced
100g korean chili powder
100ml light soy sauce
100 ml water
100g jarred salted shrimp
200g 2cm pieces scallions
200g julienned carrots
For the Kimchi
1. Prepare the Kimchi in advance – cut the cabbage lengthwise in half, then cut the halves crosswise into 2cm-wide pieces. Toss the cabbage with the sea salt and 30g of sugar in a bowl anad let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
Note: Though the kimchi will be tasty after 24 hours, it will be better in a week and at its prime in 2 weeks.
2. Combine the garlic, ginger, korean chili powder, anchovy, soy sauce, shrimp, and remaining 120g of sugar in a blender, add water and the scallions and carrots and blend to a paste.
3. Drain, wash and dry the cabbage and add it to the paste. Pack into airtight containers and refridgerate.
For the dogs
1. Warm the hot dog bun on the grill and split
2. Place a dollop of the kimchi in the split bun
3. Grill the sausage until warmed through and place on the kimchi
4. Top with a slice of the American cheese and warm under the grill
5. Serve with napkins